Pages

Monday 7 May 2012

Using jars to present work

For my final piece I have decided to create jar art which is from 'Initial Idea 3'. Jar Art will allow me to recycle ordinary objects and transform it into something interesting. I will show the encounters I have had in dreams through each of the jars I create. I think presenting my work in jars allows me to experiment with something that is quite odd and uncommon to do work in. The restrictions of a jar because it is glass and safe is restricted means, I will have to work carefully to present a piece within the work.



- Joseph Cornell

This is the work of  artist and sculpture Joseph Cornell. Here Cornell has created jar art, by placing interesting objects into a jar. I like the simplicity of the work, and the range of objects put into the jars. It reminds me of the seaside and looks quite peaceful. Joseph Cornell is an  assemblage artist and considered as one of the pioneers of this type of art. Assemblage is very interesting as it puts together found objects to create works of art. I like this, and I think this heavily relates to the type of work I wish to create. Looking at Cornell's work has inspired me to continue with this idea of found art, and I think I will use this idea along with other techniques to create eye-catching dream jars.


Joseph Cornell: http://www.josephcornellbox.com/





Heli Miikkulainen-Gilbert

Design by Heli Miikkulainen-Gilbert find work here.


I like the staining of the glass, so when light reflects on it, it reflects the colour. Although, the objects placed in these jars are house-hold goods, it has shown to the diversity of what jars can do. I really like the jar with the candle inside. The glowing of the light inside the orange stain jar looks great.









La Revanche du Crocodile ("The Crocodile's Revenge"), 2011

Juliette Joseph (Grenoble, France)


I really like this piece. Using a box Juliette Joseph has created a story through the piece. The miniature cans hanging with string from the top of the box works well with the theme of the box. I like the wall paper of the box, which is scraps pieces from a book. It goes with the quite vintage look of the box.





Lewis Powell, 2011
Juliette Joseph (Grenoble, France)

This piece looks quite shrine like. When I look at the piece it's quite intriguing, as I look at the religious connotation within the box such as the cross and rosemary. Although this is not a jar I like it because a box also have constraints to where you can work within. Looking at this has given me ideas into how to decorate my jars, and having a mixture of hanging objects and objects on the sides and floor of the box looks great, and works well to make it more dimensional.







Dada Box, 2011

Juliette Joseph (Grenoble, France)


This is another piece by Juliette Joseph. This piece is quite random, mixing various objects together. I like the weirdness of the piece. I think hanging objects works well and this is something I would like to add to my  jars, so make it more diverse. The mix of photography, texts and objects makes the piece more interesting to the eye.





I Made The Devil Do It






This work is by Victoria Roberts. More can be found here.

The work is antique which explains the brown, orange and grey colours. I like how it looks quite old and used, but has come together to create art. This piece is influenced by Joseph Cornell. As Cornell is one of the creators of assemblage, which is a type of art which brings together other found objects. Looking at assemblage, I think a lot of the work I will be creating in jars, fits this type of art as I am putting together found objects that represent my dreams into jars.






Cabaret, 2009
Eduardo R. Escobar




I've Lost My Head!, 2008
Karen Hartley





This jar is quite weird, but I like the oddness of it. I think this will suit some of the themes I have in mind for my jars. Although, the piece looks quite simple the outcome is quite bizarre and I like it.









Sunset in a Bottle, 2006
Celia Calder
This is a jar, where the side have been decorated and the inside is filled with coloured sand I like this.  I like the colourfulness of this, making it look fun and quite quirky.  



This jar has been filled with mushrooms, and although it is nothing too fancy. I think because mushrooms are quite odd objects this looks mystical.

No comments:

Post a Comment