Pages

Monday 7 May 2012

A David Shrigley inspired 'lost' poster





David Shrigley

I like the work of David Shrigley and I have researched his work in the past. After visiting his exhibition, I found this sign online again and wanted to create my own sign. I like Shrigley's lost poster because of the humour of the piece. I too wanted to produce something that could have the same effect on the on looker. Although, it is not as funny as the work of Shrigley I hoped for my audience to like it. Unlike Shrigley I based my work on a fictional character; Wally from the "Where's Wally?" books (See images below). I remembered these books from my childhood and I thought creating a sign that played on this idea of a lost Wally would stand out to the passer-by's. Shrigley made his poster very simple done in black marker pen on white lined paper. This makes the poster look more realistic, and it is not until read that we realise that this is a joke. I think making it simple also makes the details more clear, and stand out as letters are capitalized. With my poster I wanted it to look quite realistic and used scrap paper, and pen to create a paper. I used handwriting which was not too fancy, in hope that it would stand-out as real.




This is the Wally character I based my work one from the "Where's Wally?" books.



My David Shrigley inspired 'lost' poster.


Source of David Shrigley image: http://www.davidshrigley.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment