Pages

Tuesday 8 May 2012

Jar Design - ORIGAMI

ORIGAMI 

Origami is the art of paper folding which originated in Japan. I find origami really interesting and eye catching, so how paper can be transformed to create an object of some kind. Transform the flat paper into 3D interests me because I think its a great way of using paper which could be considered quite a simple and basic material. I am putting origami cranes into a jar because I like the paper folding technique. I have had practice creating cranes and drawing them, and having this object in the jar will look really good. Each crane will be created from individually decorated card, using repeated patterns, a technique I learnt from researching the work of Ingo Giezendannehttp://ifeakinroyejegraphics.blogspot.co.uk/


The surface design of some of the cranes will also have painted designs like Minna Gilligan's felt tips, but instead I will various colours of paint to create this effect, but I think it would look neater.





Source of image:  http://origami.island-three.net/crane.html



My origami crane drawings.




Above are my  illustrations of origami crane, practicing with different ways of presenting cranes. The first image uses continuous line drawing on coloured card to produce images of cranes which are then coloured in used oil pastels. The next image is a simple like drawing, a piece inspired by Hennie Haworth's style of work, as she uses simple line to illustrate various images. I like the simplicity of the image, and the use of only black and white to create an image. The next image is a photograph of origami cranes I create, edited in Adobe Illustrator. I used magazines to create the cranes, so the text still comes through, the blacks. I think the detail that was brought through when editing the photograph in Adobe illustrator. The final image is an origami crane I created from a poster. This crane is quite large and I hung it from the ceiling, because after looking at the collaborative work of Andrew Rae and Chrissie Macdonald I wanted to create an installation from the ceiling, so I combined my origami skills with their ideas. The use of the bright coloured poster paper, works quite well with the film as it is quite childish and fun.



-The Jar


 
To make the piece more dimensional the cranes will be at different sizes and decorated differently. They shall hang from ribbon attached to the lid, so the piece looks quite fancy.

No comments:

Post a Comment