Pages

Tuesday 8 May 2012

Jar Design - FEAR AND NIGHTMARES


We all have fears, and one way our fears come to get us is through dreams; in the form of a nightmare. I wanted to represent what I encounter in my nightmares in this jar.

I found artist Arvida Bystrom, whilst I was researching photographers and found her style of work perfect when you think of nightmares. Born in Stockholm Bystorm has worked for many publications including Vice magazine, Garage magazine and Aftonbldet. Her work is quite dark and mystical, but I like the weirdness of the photography and editing. Bystrom used pastel colours such as pinks, blues and whites to create her piece. The colours are like cotton-candy, which is usually associated with children and funfairs, which makes it quite odd to appear on images with more of a dark theme. Despite the use of pastel colours the pieces still comes out as dark and evil. The contrast between colour and theme works well to enhance to weirdness of the piece.




This is my Arvida Bystrom inspired piece, where I used Adobe Illustrator to edit photography I had previously taken. The piece could have been neater, but as I did rush it, I think I could do a better outcome if I take my time.



FEARS!

The photography here was taken by me the edited into so that there are two layers of the same image. I like this image and think it works well be represent fears.





JELLY JAR






This is my jelly jar trail to represent fears and nightmares. I used green jelly because it looks quite slimey and a good way to represent nightmares. Inside the jar were nails, and parts of a toys, as I wanted to create something quite weird. I hope for the oddness of the work to attraction viewers to take a closer look. When experimenting with this technique I learnt that I would have to layer the jelly  so objects could appear like they are floating. The mixture of the jelly was different to when cooking normal jelly. The mixture was mostly jelly with little water, which in an exam may prove at a constraint, but with access to a kettle and a fridge this should be achievable. For the exam for this jar I will use more objects, as this jar is not as odd as I would have liked, I want to add plastic insects, reptiles, amphibians, etc.  as many people have a fear of these types of creatures. I will use a proper doll's arm in the final piece as it looks more realistic.

No comments:

Post a Comment