Pages

Wednesday 14 December 2011

Graphics Retail Project: The Puma Logo

THE PUMA LOGO







This is a collage for the sports brand Puma. Although for this project I am not doing sportswear, I am doing a boutique which will sell some clothing items, so I thought I would look into this brand. Being the third largest sportswear creator in the world after Nike and Adidas, Puma is a very successful label. Rudolf Dassler, creator Puma in 1948 after many years serving as Adidas manager with his brother Adolph Dassler. The original Puma logo, is still used for the company today although very slight adjustments have been made.


The logo is a typo graphic logo using a mixture of text and imagery. The text on the logo is bold sans-serif spelling out the word 'Puma'. The always uses just two colours, most commonly it is the black and white. The use of only two colours help the text and imagery stand out from the background. The image which appears to be a large cat of some kind such as a cougar or panther is also simply drawn. This simplicity makes the logo stand out more, as the panther is blocky and bold. It always helps so that the logo is not too busy. The use of the panther in the position it has been drawn in the logo relates it to athletics, and running. I think when looking at the logo you can see the relationship between the graphic and the company. I think it was a good use of imagery in a logo, as it relates to the brand.


The image of the panther in this jumping position can be recognized, fairly easily. The logo is quite simple, which makes it stand out. Sometimes it is better to have a very simple bold logo, so it becomes recognizable. I think Puma's logo achieved success as it appears on all of their products including, trainers, accessories, clothes and packaging.

The company's main target area are athletes and sports people, so these are people who are active, and sporty. I think the logo through the panther shows that this is a brand which is more energetic, and for the active. Also, because the logo is not too fancy it suggests that the brand will be efficient, instead of only concentrating on the look of their products. I think the simplicity of the logo and the image of the panther, are enough the draw their target audience in.

I like the Puma logo, the use of an animal in the logo is effective and allows shoppers to always relate this shape to the brand. I think it is important to have something to associate with a company, and I think looking at the Puma logo I was able to see this. I think maybe doing experiments which creating little shapes or characters for my shop might be useful, as then this might make my brand more recognisable.



CREDITS: Collage created by me with images from Pedestrian TV and official Puma website.

No comments:

Post a Comment